Hi! My warmest welcome to you! Thanks for landing on this page.
Who Learns To Write?
Me. Ah, is there someone else?
Hello! I’m Mikel. I’m starting to learn to write. Learning shouldn’t stop. Do we have a choice?
I’m not a toddler who is barely starting to learn to write his ABC’s. I’m a grown-up in his early thirty in the journey of writing essays. For fun. For finding my writing voice. For knowing myself more. My selfish motives.
I’m an electrical engineer making the most from the internet to improve my writing skills.
I have other blogs before. I abandoned all of them.
I had to fight off this voice telling me “who do you think you are?”
I put myself in rebellion. I need to fight myself. Resist my tendencies for being a chronic people-pleaser. Shun my aversion to criticisms.
When I’m not using my gifts, I’m hurting myself and God and the world and you. We are all connected more than we can ever imagine.
I’ll just start even I feel I’m not ready.
Why Should You Read My Blog?
I created this blog in the year 2014. I was in the Philippines back then. I’m now working in Saudi Arabia. A newborn OFW (Overseas Filipino Worker). I worked as an Electrical Quality Control Inspector for a small construction establishment and finished the two-year contract.
Now, I came back to the Philippines.
Yes, this is a personal blog. My worldview. My struggles. My conquered fears. Lessons I learned. Failures I commit.
I’m an ordinary worker. A construction worker. I lived in a country with a culture way different than mine. Away from the comforts I’ve known since birth.
This blog is not only about me. Perhaps, this is also about you. We are connected in a way we can’t imagine.
I desire to connect my message to you. Challenge each other to pay attention, between the seemingly boring routine of life.
To fail a few (even a lot of) times is normal. We can start a conversation to learn from each other. You can teach me and other readers how to cope-up in uncertain situations.
What does a Filipino engineer in the construction sites of Saudi Arabia could find? Something more valuable than oil and money. The real value of things and moments we mostly took for granted.
So why bother reading this blog? Maybe, I’m not clear in giving you the right reasons. Hopefully, the following are enough:
- For my fellow OFWs looking for other alternative means of income. And be with his family for good. (Note: As of now I already file an exit in Saudi Arabia, looking forward though for another work in another country.)
- This is also for the plain vanilla ordinary guy like me. I’ll take a chance to show you that anyone can give a shot at anything he was passionate about. Not just writing. You can do painting, cooking, sports, public speaking, singing, dancing, etc. and anything in between.
- This is for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who wants to relate his life to mine. I’m new in this category. If you’re a veteran, perhaps vice-versa, I need to relate to yours.
- This is for Filipinos who’s planning to work abroad and wanted to know what’s to expect. I warn you, I’m just one of the millions of puzzle pieces of OFWs’ lives. It is impossible to see the whole picture. Though, my piece was the same shape with the lives of thousands of others.
- This is for writers who quits and now wondering if it still worth it to write again. Just for the love of it.
- This is for people who want to meet the writer hidden in himself/herself. Call yourself a writer then starts to write. I know it’s ridiculously simple. We are on the same journey.
- This is also for my family and friends. I’m not quite talkative in person. Perhaps, they can understand what’s inside this three-pound fluffy brains of mine. In short, I want to stay in touch with them.
I’ll Post Every Week
I promise to share you my authentic journey to learn better writing.
In the blogging world, authenticity is an abused word. And I will abuse it more if it will give us (me as a writer and you as a reader) connections somehow.
I have to put down my guard and be vulnerable. A human has flaws and shortcomings. I know it’s scary, it’s my way of giving.
I’m praying to God for discernment so I could still put my boundaries. I won’t give you the password of my Facebook account. I won’t tell you stories that could hurt the reputation of someone without permission. Unless I’m ready, I won’t post anything to give my employer a reason to fire me. (Note: As of now I have no employer.)
I’ll be authentic yet respectful. This is a personal blog, not a personal journal. Some skeletons will be kept in my closet — slowly opening the doors as I gain more courage in life.
Authenticity has never been about being a jerk. Everyone has different journeys and realities. To be yourself is good. To explore ourselves so we become more than who we are now is better.
In short, authenticity is just a mean, not the end.
From this date, October 14, 2016. I’ll commit to publishing a blog post every Wednesday. If I’m fired-up, I’ll post in other days as well. Not happening yet. Wink. 🙂
I admit I abandoned this blog for more than a year. I learned consistency is more important than cleverness.
I’m an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW). I’m wondering how to get free online time to publish my blog posts. Plus, I also have to resolve some personal life issues. This is common in the culture of my country. Out of love for their families, many Filipinos leave for better opportunities.
Filipinos are one of the best employees in the world. This is great but unfortunate. I’m looking forward when OFW’s talents will benefit more of my country. Not just with our remittances.
Well, who am I to tell you this? I’m also working outside of my country. But, there’s nothing wrong to dream, right?
Let Me Send You Updates
I admit I’m in the process of learning how to give value to you through this blog.
As of now, you can follow my blog and read my blog post every week via email.
By now, I just write.
This is how I learn to write.
If you read until here, well, thanks again for sharing your valuable time.
Then you’re awesome.
God bless you. 🙂
Some of My Blog Posts to Read
You can also check five of my blog posts about the Saudi Arabian life:
Then here are five of my blog posts about writing:
Also five of my blog posts about my realizations about life in general: